Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Hidden Magic of the 5th Floor



I have been studying for so long that most of my brain has been fried by all the physics I have been cramming up there. So, I am allowing myself a few minutes to sit and contemplate and blurb my thoughts out.
Definition: blurb(verb)-to spew forth random thoughts onto paper, or computer screen
So there’s this myth about the 5th floor of the BYU library that only attractive people come up here to study. So far two unattractive “people” and one attractive “person” have sat across from me today and I have now been here for 5 hours. Notice my use of quotes around people and person to denote the male sex…haha. Anyhow this elusive magic of the 5th floor being the place to meet people has completely escaped me. There are no “people” bugging me for my number or even flirting in the least bit. Maybe my powers to charm have faded significantly. I haven’t tried the come hither smile yet..but then again my version of that turns out to be a variation of a grimace. What makes a person attractive to another person anyway? There are so many different definitions of the word beautiful these days that it is hard to say. Besides, attraction between two people can happen with a significant lack of physical appeal. Seems to me either there is chemistry or there isn’t.
Hmm….maybe I can come up with some sort of theorization about the mystery of chemistry(ooh onomanopoeia).
I think chemistry occurs between people for one of two reasons:
A. You both think the other person is physically attractive(upon meeting you think: “hottie!”.
B. Two people spend an inordinate amount of time together. They talk a lot. They laugh a lot. In short, they become good friends. After spending time together they realize that the other person is actually more attractive than their original evaluation.
C. One person is in category A and the other person falls into category B, since the B person eventually comes around, they end up happy.
D. One person starts at category A and the other person falls into category E(see below) which leaves person A crying into their pillow every night, and person E with someone else.
E. This person looks at the other person, and thinks to themselves “well, there’s a face only a mother could love.”
So there’s my Theory of Attraction. Notice that it’s attraction, not love, which is an entirely different matter that is much more complicated. I realize it’s not flawless, and truthfully it’s probably much more theory than fact. How much you decide is the truth is up to you.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I'm dying over E. I went to the 5th floor today. I was actually doing work and the guys across from me said "You came to the 5th floor to study?" Haven't they heard of multitasking?

    ReplyDelete