Saturday, March 13, 2010

Joga Bonito



So I just realized that I have never talked about soccer on this blog. Which is incredibly weird because it used to be my life. A little more than a year ago, my life was: eat, sleep, play soccer, repeat(with a little studying thrown in for more hectic-ness). Anyway, I loved it. I still do. But I no longer have time for it to be the focus of my life. My energy is no longer expended on the beautiful game of eleven versus eleven for a 45-45 game. Instead, my energy has started going to making my jeans not fit, to studying for stupid tests, to worrying about boys, to building lasting friendships. And yes, of course these things are important, and yes I absolutely love my life right now. But every now and then I get thinking and….sometimes, I feel like this giant hole has been left where soccer used to be. It was such a big part of my life that without it, I sometimes feel like I am missing a part of myself, one that I left behind when I became a college student.
Today, when we played our intramural game, it felt so good to touch the ball, to be a part of a team, to push a girl down because that ball was MINE(and it didn’t hurt that we won 3-1). I connected with that old passion, that old fire, and it felt wonderful. I wish I could live it, breath it, and step into my favorite version of myself everyday: the one that is one-quarter of an inch taller in cleats. When I step onto that field, I want to win so bad it hurts, I want to tear every opponent to pieces, and most of all I want to play beautifully. Joga Bonito. Play beautifully. This is the message I take from soccer into my world today. Because Joga Bonito doesn’t just apply to soccer, it applies to life. And if I can do that, if I can live beautifully, then I am truly living.

Good Game!

Miss M

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!! can relate completely! BRAVO! :) I especially love the part where you are 1/4 of an inch taller in cleats! :)

    ReplyDelete